Posted in Life


Keidi – our beloved Dachshund has gone on to “doggie Heaven”. It’s been a rough week-and-a-half. The day after Mother’s Day our Keidi started acting a little weird, just not like her usual self, she didn’t want to eat, go out and bark and the neighbors or really do much of anything. We thought, maybe, she just had too much human food from the table the day before. Usually we’ll give her some bread, ice cream, milk from the table (never meat or veggies). We had strawberry cake and my husband let her lick the plate after he’d finished so there were only a few tiny crumbs, but the cake was made with real strawberries and she has a lot of allergies, so I thought she might have been having some weird reaction to that so I gave her some Benadryl. She still wasn’t perking up to her normal self. By Thursday she stopped drinking water, even when we held the bowl up to her mouth. I left work early and my son and I took her to E-Pet 911 and they ran some blood work and ex-ray’s and they told us she was in severe kidney failure.

Oh boy, I wasn’t ready for this, but, I knew something wasn’t right. The Vet offered to keep her there to push fluids and medicine through IV, but even then there was no guarantee it would help. Also, even though we LOVE our four-legged friend we do have a family responsibility to be fiscally responsible and there’s always the “how much are we willing to let our dog suffer” because we aren’t emotionally ready to let her go? Obviously with kidney failure there’s really no turning back, no true “cure”, just life-long treatment of medicine therapy.

I still remember they day my husband went to pick her up from the breeder. It was a super cold and snowy day in January of 2000. She was six weeks old. He took a little laundry basket filled with blankets and drove about an hour one-way, after he’d worked all day even. Our son was five and he was so excited to see her when they finally got home.

Even now, I still get teary-eyed just thinking about her. She was with us over for over fourteen years. She slept with us, followed us around the house, sat at our feet while we ate, snuggled on the couch with us. She was definitely a major part of our lives.

Today, I’m cleaning up the rest of her belongings, her crate, harness and leash and all of her toys.

P1010200 Her favorite toys, clearly they’ve all been chewed on. We kept her toys in the corner of the living room and she’d go over and pick one out, play with it a while, shake it around, growl at it then just walk away when she got tired.

P1010203 This was her favorite though. She found it one day while out for a walk, picked it up and carried it home. (I wondered if she thought it was her baby??)

IMG_20131017_210625_672 This is how she slept most of the time. So happy to have known her for fourteen years. So sad she’s gone.~Bam



I'm a wife and Mom. I love baking, crafting, scrap booking, and reading for fun. I work full-time outside of the home and I have one adult son who has high functioning Autism. My husband and I have been married for over 25 years and I still love him as much today as I did the day we were married.

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in: Logo

You are commenting using your account. Log Out / Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out / Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out / Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out / Change )

Connecting to %s