Posted in DIY decorating

Kitchen Back-Splash

I wanted to do something to update our kitchen, at least, a little, and didn’t want to spend too much money doing it. It took a while of hunting around, looking for different products that I felt I could comfortably use on my own. I enjoy working with my hands and especially enjoy the “fruits of my labor” so to speak. When I am painting a room, re-purposing an old piece of furniture or even super cleaning something it just gives me a sense of accomplishment when I’m finished. I not only feel I’ve done something worth while it also gives me a chance to do some deep thinking, or  time to connect with God through prayer.

Our kitchen is  a lime green color which I still really like. However, the back-splash is boringly plain. I wanted to add some contrast to it. Liven it up a bit. Bring it into the Twenty-first century.

I, however, have no idea how to work with ceramic tiles. I wouldn’t even know where to begin with them (I’m sure I could figure it out if I really wanted to). I didn’t want to invest in the time or the money of ceramic tiles either.

BORING!!!!

I went to all of the local hardware stores and found some very nice peel and stick tile sheets. They didn’t have a very large selection of colors and the were very expensive in the stores. Then I turned to Amazon (my go to for almost everything). I found a much larger selection at much better prices.

P1010531

I ended up choosing a peel and stick made by Art3d  in this color scheme. It has some green tones to it but also a lot of browns and creams which are the perfect match for our cabinets (which I have no intention of changing currently). I purchased a package of ten 12″ x 12″ peel and stick tiles with a sort of tongue and groove stile side connection.

Because I am a nut like this (or I really like to control what I am doing, or one could say I have a touch of OCD), once I cleaned the walls thoroughly with a damp towel and made sure it was completely dry, I used scotch tape to tape up the tiles on the walls first. I did this for two reasons. 1) I wanted to make sure I actually bought enough product and 2) I wanted to see if I would like the way it looked and if the color scheme was a good match. Once I figured out this was indeed a good match I took them back down and started putting them up for real.

P1010535

To make sure I cut out the right part of the tile I put it on the wall backwards and made a mark with my pencil for the area that needed cut out for the switches. This product if very easy to cut.

P1010534

I used mostly a straight edge knife, just a craft knife I use for scrap-booking and I used my scrapbook cutting board because I has straight lines on it. I could very easily keep every cut straight. (I had a round cutter but I felt it was too flimsy to work well so I ended up not using it at all).

Here I am at another utility plug. I basically lined the tiles up the rest of the wall for that 12″ x 12″ space and then I VERY carefully cut the slot out the rest of the way with some kitchen shears. Again, super easy!!! So far, so good!!

For this switch I measured the length on the bottom on the back side of the tile sheet and then I measured the height with a metal ruler (another scrapbook tool).

P1010541

I wanted to make sure I cut out the correct end so I labeled the back bottom area and then using my measurements I carefully cut out the square with my straight edge and it popped right out. When cutting this product it is a good idea to make small precise cuts and try not pushing into the product too harshly. I would go around one cut about three times each. Slow and easy wins the race…um, right?? It worked out really well for me to do it this way.

P1010542

This product if very flexible. When I got to a difficult corner of the wall, where I had to go around the wood trim, I just folded it up and made a mark where I needed to cut. Super easy again. So far I haven’t had any snafus.Thumbs up to me!!

P1010545

For this tiny bit of area near the top of the window seal I used a piece of scrap paper that was apart of the backing of another sheet of tile. I used it to make a template which made it very easy to work with when I cut out the last piece of that part of the wall.

P1010548

Ta-DA…The final product. I absolutely LOVE the way this turned out. I LOVE that it was super easy and I LOVE that it took me less than two hours to do. For me, this was the perfect project. These tiles have a really nice look to them. They are very sticky, but could easily be moved into position -until you really push them onto the wall. When I had the tile exactly where I wanted it I used a clean, dry dishrag to rub the tiles into position.

I just have to figure out what kind of replacement switch covers I want to change my plastic ones out for and I’ll be finished with this project.

Hope this encourages you to try a super easy kitchen back-splash update also!~Bam

 

Author:

I'm a wife and Mom. I love baking, crafting, scrap booking, and reading for fun. I work full-time outside of the home and I have one adult son who has high functioning Autism. My husband and I have been married for over 25 years and I still love him as much today as I did the day we were married.

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in:

WordPress.com Logo

You are commenting using your WordPress.com account. Log Out / Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out / Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out / Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out / Change )

Connecting to %s