I would say liking kale could be considered an acquired taste. It has a strong earthy flavor and has a tough texture as far as a salad green goes. Even cooking it doesn’t make it really tender, but, I’ve come to really enjoy kale salads.
Here’s my take on a kale and beet salad.
Before, I found this really convenient can of already thinly sliced beets, I was cutting them up myself. Let’s just say beets are very messy. I saw these and now this salad is even easier to make.
Keeping in mind that I am the only one in my family that will eat this salad I only made a lunch sized amount.
For the salad:
- 1 small bunch of kale – cleaned thoroughly, then roughly chopped (or just pulled in to bite-sized pieces)
- 1 medium handful walnuts – roughly chopped
- 1 small bunch of scallion – roughly chopped (sometimes I’ll use a small amount of red onion – just whatever I happen to have already at home)
- 1/4 can of shoestring beets drained
- 2 Tbsp of Gorgonzola cheese
HINT: Kale has a lot of very tine crevices that can hold dirt and it really needs to be washed thoroughly.
For the Dressing I used:
- 8 cleaned and diced strawberries
- 1 tsp white vinegar
- 1/8 c. dry white wine
- pepper to taste
I put mine in a Nutribullet and blend until you get the consistency you want.
I really like the sweetness of the strawberry dressing with the tartness of the kale and Gorgonzola. The flavors just seem to go really good together.
Place the rest of the can of beets in a small container and refrigerate. Then mix with cottage cheese for another healthy snack; or eat them on their own with dinner. Beets are super good for you.